Local Government and community experience
Janet was a City of Maribyrnong Councillor from 2003 to 2008, and Mayor in 2005-06.
Local government achievements
Some of Janet's major activities and achievements as a Councillor include:
- Metropolitan Transport Forum Chair 2004 -2008. Under Janet’s leadership MTF, which brings together 19 municipalities, embarked on a major public transport advocacy campaign (see www.pt4me2.org.au). Janet continues to be a sought after speaker on transport issues.
- Victorian Local Governance Association Janet was elected to the VLGA Board in 2005 and to the Vice – Presidency in 2006. Janet was an active member of VLGA’s community engagement, finances and climate change working groups.
- Municipal Association of Victoria. Janet was awarded the MAV McArthur Fellowship in 2006. She travelled to North America and Northern Europe researching the role of community in achieving sustainable transport and urban form. Janet was a member of the MAV – VicRoads Liaison Committee and Transport and Infrastructure Committee.
- City of Maribyrnong Janet led Council’s commitment to becoming carbon neutral , was a strong advocate for revitalisation of Footscray, a campaigner on freight issues, and succeeded through negotiation with the Port of Melbourne in retaining Footscray Wharf.
Janet Rice Facilitation and Community Involvement was formed in 2003.
Between 1997 and 2003 Janet worked as a Senior Consultant with Context Pty Ltd.
Janet has also worked as:
- Executive Officer, Sustainable Melbourne Alliance for Transport & Urbanism
- Community Campaigns Manager, Office of Colleen Hartland, MLC
- Lecturer in Sustainable Transport, RMIT University
- Campaign Manager and Candidate, Australian Greens Victoria
- Ride to Work Coordinator Bicycle Victoria
- Co-ordinator and Forest Campaigner, East Gippsland Coalition
- Water Policy Officer, Department of Water Resources
- Project Officer, Conservation Council of Victoria (now Environment Victoria)
Janet is also:
- Advisory Board Member, Centre for Governance and Management of Urban Transport , University of Melbourne,
- State Councillor, Australian Greens Victoria,
- An active member of a range of community organisations including Maribyrnong Truck Action Group and Maribyrnong Bicycle Users Group, and
- Past Chair, Footscray City Primary School Council
Janet has completed two years of intensive facilitation training with the Groupwork Institute of Australia. She has a Science degree with Honours in Meteorology, and also holds a certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution from the Trillium Group.